When we step outside our addictions to our life scripts
and observe our actions, thoughts and feelings
without judgement or attachment
and make choices from this place
that fully support our health and wellbeing
then we are truly 'eating consciously'.


- Jacqui Brooks

Wednesday 22 April 2009

Blood Donation and Healthy Eating

Have you ever considered how far and wide an impact your food choices can have?
I found out today, when I went to give blood here in Spain just how far reaching this can be.
The Spanish blood donation service have a clause in the blood donation contract that excludes people who have lived in the U.K. between 1980 and 1996 from giving blood. As a previous regular blood donor in the U.K. I felt very disappointed by this and questioned it to be told that it is as a prevention against C.J.D. or the human form of 'Mad Cow' disease.
This disease was prevelant in the U.K. during these years resulting in several people developing brain disease which then led to their deaths. C.J.D. was categorically linked to the eating of tainted beef and beef products.
Happily for me I have been a vegetarian since 1976 and once I was able to convince the medics that neither beef nor any other meat has passed my lips since then they took my blood.
This highlighted to me yet again, how our food choices today can have such a profound affect in the future.
Have you ever given any consideration to how your lifestyle choices may affect not only yourself but others too, especially those you love?

No comments: